there’s no question that dogs are man’s best friend. Dog’s, in turn love their owners unconditionally, they welcome us when we come home and are the best companion that many humans have. In the U.S., there are currently 89.7 million dogs.
Each year, the American Kennel Club (AKC) releases their list of the most popular breeds, and it is interesting to see how American’s most desirable dogs have changed very little in the last 10 years.
Top Breeds in 2009 vs. 2019:
Our taste in many things change, but when you compare the list of top dogs in 2009 compared to 2019, there has been very little change.
Here is the list of top five dogs from 2009:
1. The Labrador Retriever has been in the top five favorite dog list a number of times. They are athletic and great for families that have young children.
2. Yorkshire Terriers took the 2nd spot in 2009; these tiny dogs have big personalities, energetic and loyal.
3. German Shepherds are popular due to their strength and ease of training, making them a desirable choice for military law enforcement as well as pets for families with kids.
4. Golden Retrievers are loyal, friendly and very gentle with children. They love water and are great companions.
5. Beagles come in at the number 5 position. They are friendly, loving and is gentle toward children.
Now here’s the list of the top dogs from the 2019 list:
1. Again, the number one position belongs to the Labrador Retriever. They have placed as one of the top dogs for decades. Their gentleness and loving personality promise they will continue to place in years to come.
2. The German Shepherd has been elevated to the number two spot. With proper training, they can be taught tracking, sniffing and guarding skills.
3. The Golden Retriever has been elevated from the number four spot in 2009 to the number three spot in 2019. This is because of their dedication to heir human parents and playful nature.
4. New to the list is the French Bull Dog. The French Bull Dog has gained in popularity because they can often pick up on human emotions and are very kind and loving to their humans.
5. Beagles are once gain in the fifth position. They are a favorable size, around 15-inches tall, positioning them between the small- to medium-sized category. They befriend humans and other pets alike.
Human’s not Afraid to Spend Money of Their Furry Friends:
Human’s love to pamper their pets. Some lavish their dogs with spa treatments, clothing and dog beds —including special holiday outfits, trampolines, special “homes” and gourmet foods. According to the American Pet Products Association, in the U.S. pet owners spent 69.51 billion in 2017 on products for their pets. That amount is expected to increase to $75.38 in 2019, with the most money expected to go towards food at $31.68%.
Pet’s Beneficial to Our Health:
Pet’s are not only the subject of our affections; their presence has a positive affect on our lives. The CDC states that in general, pets can help increase physical activity and lower stress . More specifically, they can:
• Decrease blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and loneliness
• Increase socialization and outdoor activities
While we love our top five dog breeds, many of us love our mixed mutts as much as AKC certified dogs in other countries the people prefer other dog breeds (see this german article for example: Wauwaubetten.de). Whatever type of dog breed you choose, you can pretty much guarantee that you will be rewarded with love.